Astro 290 is capable of welding all types of stainless steel, in any position. This versatile rod has been specially developed to resist chemical ‘pitting’ action.
Engineered for: Stabilised stainless steel tank for chemical corrosion resistance.
Joining, fabricating, cladding and repair of tanks and other structures, subjected to corrosive ‘pitting’ action of the chemicals, commonly encountered in rayon and dye manufacturing plants and paper mills.
- SPECIAL PROPERTIES WITHIN THE COATING OF 290 FLUXES THE IMPURITIES FROM THE WELD METAL
- ELIMINATES THE FORMATION OF CHROMIUM CARBIDES IN THE WELD METAL
- ALL POSITION WELDING CHARACTERISTICS
- EASY REMOVAL OF SLAG
- HIGH ELONGATION
- HIGH TENSILE
- QUICK FREEZING
- Tensile Strength: Up to 95,000 P.S.I. (640 MPa)
- Yield Sterength: Up to 75,000 P.S.I. (510 Mpa)
- Elongation: 40 to 50%
- Deposit: Nonmagnetic
Clean base metal before welding. When welding materials 4mm (3/16″) or thinner, a square butt joint should be used with a 1.5mm (1/16″) gap; on material thicker than 4mm (3/16″), a beveled edge is recommended.
A minimum of welding current should be used.
Maintain a short arc with the electrode angled slightly in the direction of travel.
Stringer beads are recommended with a fairly fast travel speed.
Slag should be permitted to remain on the weld deposit until it has cooled.
Avoid overheating the base metal and completely remove slag between passes.