Astro 480 is a superior machinable electrode that gives maximum strength and ductility on heavy sections of cast iron. Due to it’s iron content, it is excellent for welding ferrous metals which are high in phosphorous content and ductile iron. It can also be used to join cast irons to steels.
Recommended for general maintenance welding where high strength and ductility are required and yet deposits must be machinable. Commonly used on heavy machine bases, equipment parts, cylinder heads and blocks. Engineered for repairs on grey and alloy cast irons.
- Due to it’s iron content, 480 is excellent for welding ferrous metals which are high in phosphorous content and ductile iron
- Welds all types of cast iron in all positions, inc. ductile iron, grey iron, malleable iron and steel to cast iron
- Superior machinable electrode that gives maximum strength and ductility on all kinds of cast iron
- Provides solid, dense, machinable and colour matching deposits
- Does not require preheating
- Does not crack or undercut
- Minimal spatter
- Tensile strength: Up to 80,000 P.S.I. (550MPa)
- Yield strength: Up to 60,000 P.S.I. (410MPa)
- Elongation (%): Approx 4-12
- Hardness (HB): Approx 200-300 Brinell
- Colour match: Good
- Deposit: Magnetic
Preheating to 300C (570F) is recommended to decrease stresses and increase tensile strength and ductility.
Removing all foreign material by grinding or other means and then searing the iron with a highly oxidizing torch flame will help to eliminate porosity.
When welding cast iron to steels, the procedure should be the same as if two pieces of cast iron are being joined together.